To get this special creamy consistency, one should follow these rules:
- Use only risotto kinds of rice, because only they have the ability to release starch.
Various kinds of rice for risotto are manufactured in Italy. The most popular and common ones abroad are:
- Vialone Nano
- Don’t rinse rice as washing would remove the outside layer of starch.
- Use light stock or water. If the stock is rich, mix it with water in 1:1 ratio.
- Use beef, fish or vegetable stock depending on other risotto ingredients. You can also use chicken stock but it’s pretty intense in taste so I wouldn’t recommend it. The universal liquid for risotto is vegetable stock.
- The indicated amount of ingredients is always approximate, as it very much depends on rice and other cooking details.
- Add only boiling stock to risotto.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 15 min. Then you can start trying risotto. The properly cooked rice should be soft and have some resistance.
- Risotto can have a different consistency. Risotto which is served as a first course can be slightly runny. As a side dish, risotto should be thicker.
- The cooked risotto is dressed with olive oil or butter, some grated parmesan then covered to let stand for 1-2 min before serving.
- Risotto should be served right away as it’s not supposed to be stored.
- Before serving, you can add some hot water to your risotto for consistency adjustments.
400 g rice
approx. 1600 ml liquid
3 tbsp olive oil (or butter, or a mix of both)
2 garlic cloves
100 ml white wine or vermouth
2 tbsp olive oil or butter
60 g grated parmesan
- Bring the liquid to the boil, then reduce to simmer. The liquid should be slightly salted.
- Finely dice the onion and cook in olive oil over low heat until soft and transparent (for about 10 min).
- Finely chop the garlic, add to the pan and cook for 30 sec.
- Add the rice and increase heat to medium. Cook for a few minutes until the edges of the rice get translucent.
- Add the wine, stir, and cook until it evaporates.
- Add 1 ladle of the boiling liquid. Cook stirring until it evaporates. Add another ladle, cook stirring until it evaporates, add one more. Continue until the rice is done. Try the rice 15 min after start.
- When the risotto is ready, dress it with some olive oil or butter and grated parmesan (optionally), season with salt and pepper. Cover and let stand for 1-2 min before serving.
Total visits: 43.
Today's visits: 1.
Today's visits: 1.